Sunday, February 13, 2011

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies

Well, I have been SO hungry for these Little Debbies. They bring me back to being a young girl, as these were one of my favorite snacks. Of course I don't want to eat them anymore, and really hadn't looked around for a from scratch recipe. Then my sister, Angela, showed me a magazine that had one in, yes! I was very excited! At the moment I do not have the magazine name, but I will post it as soon as I get it from her! Needless to say, I was a little disappointed in them. They got much "puffier" than I wanted and had a more crumbly consistency instead of chewy. The taste was still good, and I attribute the "puffiness" to my, *ahem* lack of measuring and just dumping in ingredients (the baking powder decided to heavily dump in the bowl, so there was a LOT more than needed) and possibly to using some coconut oil instead of all butter, but I haven't had trouble with it in other items so I'm blaming it on the baking soda and possibly baking too long. Good news is, after keeping them in the fridge they soaked up some moisture and became better with age! I will try the recipe again and let you know how it goes!

1 1/2 c King Arthur Organic All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder (I probably had at least 1 T- haha!)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon (ok, this is the amount in the original recipe and you KNOW I put a lot more than this in!)
1 c butter at room temperature (I used 1/2 c butter, 1/2 c coconut oil)
1/4 c brown sugar (I used sucanat)
1 T molasses (be sure to use organic, other molasses has a lot of added ingredients)
1 tsp vanilla (yeah, I probably put more than this in as well)
2 eggs
1 1/2 c organic rolled oats (not quick)
1/2 c raisins (I omitted these)
8 oz organic cream cheese (Organic Valley is a great company)
6 T organic powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and molasses on high, scraping down bowl until light and fluffy about 4 minutes. Add vanilla, beat until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time scraping down the bowl after each addition.

With mixer on low add flour mixture and beat just until combined. With a rubber spatula, stir in oats and raisins. Drop dough in 2 T full mounds, 2 inches apart onto 2 baking sheets (I sprayed with olive oil first). Bake until cookies are just set at edges and slightly soft in the middle, about 11 minutes, rotating sheets halfway. Let cookies cool on sheets 5 minutes and transfer to wire cooling racks.

In medium bowl using mixer beat cream cheese and sugar until light, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl as needed. Spread filling on flat side of half the cookies and sandwich with the remaining cookies.

Keep in refrigerator in airtight container.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...