Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Graham Crackers and Potato (Cauliflower?) Soup


Here are two new-to-me recipes that turned out well tonight. The cauliflower soup recipe came from my friend Jess' blog. I had to make a few modifications due to not having an ingredient and also needing to mask it as potato soup instead of cauliflower. This turned out wonderfully, very creamy and tasty. The milk is really not necessary at all, just add a little extra broth. It also freezes extremely well.

1 Large Head Organic Cauliflower
1 Large Onion, sliced
5 cloves Garlic, each halved
3 TBS Olive Oil
2 small organic potatoes
1 box organic free range chicken broth (32 oz)
1 C water
dried crumbled bay leaf
1 TSP dried thyme
1 C 1% milk with 1/3 c nonfat organic dry milk (this is my concoction in place of half and half) (optional)
1 TSP Salt (I usually do not add and let those eating add what they want)
1/8 TSP Black Pepper (Ditto with the salt)
Optional- Bacon and shredded cheddar as garnish

1.) Heat Oven to 400 degrees F. In large roasting pan, toss cauliflower, onion slices and garlic with olive oil.
2.) Roast in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.While it is roasting, wash and cut potatoes in small pieces (I left the skin on).
3.) In large saucepan, combine roasted cauliflower mixture, potatoes, chicken broth, water, bay leaf and thyme. Cover; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. At the same time boil potato in a smaller pot.
4.) Strain potatoes. In blender or food processor (I used a Magic Bullet in 2 batches), puree soup (not potatoes). Return soup and potatoes to saucepan. Stir in milk, salt and pepper; gently heat (I do not add milk or salt/pepper so then you are ready to serve right away!).



Graham Crackers

This recipe I took from the Heavenly Homemakers site exactly so I will not repost. I did split the dough in half and added cocoa powder to make chocolate graham crackers. The next time I will add more cinnamon :) Are you surprised? I was a little worried after taking out of the oven because the dough was still "bendy" but after cooling is crisped right off. I was also not overly concerned about consistency in size and shape for this first try. I'm not real picky about that (it's just going to get chewed up anyway, right?). Very yummy, and I can't wait to make some pumpkin dip to dip them in!

Chocolate fresh out of the oven.

 Cinnamon Honey fresh out of the oven!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...