Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Granola

Well, right before going gluten-free, I had made up a large batch of crunchy granola. So in efforts to not let it go to waste (and you can be sure I'll make this again with gluten-free oats :), I decided to have it be the kick-off item for a fundraiser for a local Autism Walk. (In fact I'm thinking this is a great way for me to use up most of my flours!) This is a recipe I have been meaning to add. It is based on the ingredient list from the Big Sky Bread Granola that is on the bulk bin at Sonnewald and also on this recipe. I love to eat it as a cereal or in yogurt. You can bake and break into chunks to eat as a snack as well. It keeps for weeks in an airtight container. Feel free to mix and match your favorite nuts and seeds! As always, try to use organic as much as possible.
Granola
6 c oats (old fashioned, not quick cooking)
1 to 1 1/2 c raw almonds
3/4 c olive oil (add more for bars)
2/3 c honey
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c sucanat (This is a coarse sugar that is brown and large crystals. I get it in bulk at Sonnewald. I do think the flavor will be different if  you use regular sugar, but brown sugar would create a similar flavor.)
1 T vanilla
salt (I don't measure, just a couple turns of the grinder)

Mix all together and lay on parchment lined cookie sheet. If making bars I usually press the mixture doewn into the pan. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes. Stir if wanting loose granola or turn sheet if going for bars. Bake another 30 min. or so. Sometimes I will turn off the oven and let it sit. Allow to cool in pan, they will firm up while cooling. Break into chunks and store in airtight container.

2 comments:

  1. HA! If you shop at Sonnewald...you must be close to me! I love their French Vanilla Granola ♥ and am looking for the recipe! Great blog BTW. I finally opened my blog [for public view]. http://bridgethegapmakinghealthierchoices.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and letting me know about your blog! Checking it out now :) BTW, how did you find me?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...