Sunday, May 29, 2011

Not Your Ordinary Bed of Roses

Well, it has been a long spring with little time to work on the garden between commitments, construction, rain and the busyness that always comes each year at this time. I was able to start some flats inside in March (the earliest we have ever started anything so I was hopeful!).

We had talked with our next door neighbors about joining forces. Since we didn't have time to build our raised bed right away, we planted many of the seedlings and some seeds in their bed from last year. We added a bag of compost from Sonnewald's. We planted broccoli, radishes, carrots, various lettuces, and marigolds around the exterior to deter rabbits. Here's how it looked:

Unfortunately not long after planting we had a torrential rain that washed away many of the seeds. Then, the neighborhood rabbit family decided to munch on a little of everything. So, needless to say there is not much left. There was a little lettuce, 3 broccoli plants, a few radishes, a few carrots, and one or two marigolds. We'll have to replant and perhaps put some chicken wire around to deter the critters.

Today my husband built a raised bed, we decided on a spot and then moved barrels full of dirt for the bed. We are beat! (And this was after I had already weeded for over an hour in the hot sun!) I am so excited to get the rest of my veggies that are in flats and dying to get out, into this new bed! (Hopefully tomorrow!)

I have squash, zucchini, watermelon, cukes and pumpkins that need to find a home. We are planning on putting marigolds along the outside of the box, along with chicken wire. I want to get some fish fertilizer (I can't remember the site right now) my mom told me about to help the soil as well, and we made sure to get lots of worms in the bed as well!

While I was outside, decided to take a few more pics:






And while I'm at it, here are some pics of the inside cactus that has shot off a very tall bloom stalk!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...