Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal

Could it be possible for me to find a recipe that is TOO chocolaty? Well, it has happened! I found this recipe for Clean Eating German Chocolate Oatmeal from the Gracious Pantry Blog. I really haven't eaten "regular" oatmeal lately since I've been chowing down on my baked oatmeal most of the time, but after a long run this morning, I had a little extra time and taste buds that were ready! Here is my version, with a few alterations. Also note that I was entirely planning on eating the whole batch (because even with the 2 servings it would have been a big breakfast, but not too much) but ate half and was more than satisfied! My daughter ate about half of what was left, and I finished off the last quarter as a snack after church. I could definitely eat this as a dessert, though! I will most likely cut the cocoa powder in 1/2 though if I make it again for breakfast. I apologize for no pictures, but it was basically dark brown oatmeal :)

Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal

Ingredients
2 servings of dry oats (I used 2 servings of steel cut oats as I prefer their texture to rolled oats, whichever oats you prefer cook as directed on package)
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (ugh, I'm still using Hershey's for now)
2 tbsp. unsweetened dry coconut flakes (These were my favorite part of the recipe, I loved the texture the coconut gave to the dish! Make sure you use unsweetened coconut. Once you have, you'll never go back to the sweetened stuff, and if you thought you didn't like coconut, you probably will like the unsweetened, it has a much lighter texture and taste, not to mention a lot less calories!)
Small handful of raw almonds
1 egg
2 tbsp. honey

Cook oats. As soon as they are finished cooking, remove from heat, add in cocoa powder, coconut and almonds, then quickly stir in egg and honey. The egg will cook as you stir. That's it! If you want it to look pretty, sprinkle with coconut flakes and/or chopped almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...