Sunday, January 16, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

After finally finding an oatmeal that I like, I wanted to try a baked oatmeal. I saw that Christina's, a local bakery had some that looked really yummy and after trying it last Friday I can attest that it IS really yummy!), and then my friend Jess posted a recipe on her blog as well. So, it was time for me to try it myself. And of course I picked a night when I was making pasta salad, "mock"tarts, hard-boiled eggs, fixing a veggie tray and packing my lunches for the week :) So here is my version of Jess' recipe (I just realized that she added flax and wheat germ to hers as well, totally forgot to this time but will definitely do that the next time I make it!).

Baked Oatmeal

2 c rolled oats
1 c steel cut oats (or you can use another cup of rolled if you don't have steel cut)
1/4 c sucanat (or organic brown sugar or evap cane sugar, but please, no refined white sugar!)
1/4 c honey
cinnamon (LOTS! not sure, but probably at least a tablespoon)
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 c coconut milk (unflavored and unsweetened) (or your favorite milk)
2 eggs
1/2 c melted butter (I used Earth Balance) or 1/2 c coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 c raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 c slivered almonds or whole almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a pie pan with nonstick spray.  In a large bowl, mix together oats, sucanat, cinnamon (Did I mention LOTS??), baking powder, and salt. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. You may want to take a quick taste to see if it is sweet enough for you. That is how I knew I totally forgot to put it ANY sugar and then added the sucanat and honey for just enough sweetness! Pour into pie pan and bake about 35 minutes. Enjoy warm, I liked mine with a little milk. I can't wait to heat this up for breakfast tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...