Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Spaghetti Squash and a New Fruit

Spaghetti squash. Those two words evoked immediate disdain from me as a child. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I NEVER enjoyed eating it as a child, no matter how much I loved spaghetti! So, when my sister suggested it for a meal while home on a visit the other week, well, let's just say I was a little skeptical. Fortunately, it was AWESOME, delicious, filling, and guiltless, and went perfect with a side of garlic-cheddar biscuits! To make the squash, simply cut in 1/2, remove the seeds and boil in a covered pot of water until tender (this didn't take too long, maybe 10-15 minutes. Then simply scoop out the flesh with a fork and it will turn into short, noodle shaped pieces. After scooping out, we put back in the shells to serve, what a fun and cute way to save washing more dishes! My sis used a store bought sauce (Nature's Promise) but added garlic, onion, and I believe spinach.

We also had the opportunity to try a new-to-us fruit, a pomelo. We saw it at Sonnewald's and thought it looked fun to try. It is actually a Chinese grapefruit although it is a lot less bitter but not as sweet as an orange. It is very large (I forgot to take a picture of it before cutting, I'm guessing it was the size of a small soccer ball) but does have a thick rind and one gave the four of us one decent sized quarter. I think it would be delicious in a citrus fruit salad, and was somewhere around $1.85 if I remember right, so not too expensive either!

1 comment:

  1. May I suggest another delicious way to prepare spaghetti squash? Cook it, scoop the strands into a bowl, add an egg, a little whole wheat flour, diced onion, salt, and pepper. Mix together to create a "batter" a little thicker than pancake batter. Scoop portions into an oiled nonstick skillet to create spaghetti squash pancakes, flip, finish cooking, sprinkle a little more salt and pepper. (for a twist add some cheese)--my favorite spaghetti squash recipe.
    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...