Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shrimp Fest

One of my most favorite foods to make and eat is shrimp! Of course, after changing to a whole, sustainable diet I had to change my shrimp. Most shrimp in your grocery store comes from other countries and is farmed. The shrimp is pumped with antibiotics and fed chicken parts and often chicken feces. Farms have even been known to have chickens in wire cages right above the water so their feces go right in the water (yuck!). You can find out more here. This site also has a plethora of information on seafood and which ones to avoid and which ones are viable options to eat. Thankfully I have been able to go to Route 30 Seafood and purchase wild caught gulf shrimp.
Here's a picture of me working on the shrimp taken by my sis, April:
Here's the shrimp scampi in the back (the rest of the pictures taken by my daughter, Leah):
Here's the fried shrimp:

And more:
Ok, so now that you are thoroughly hungry, here's the recipes!

Steamed Shrimp (not pictured)
This recipe is good for up to 1 pound of shrimp, if more than that double the recipe.
1/3 c vinegar
2/3 c water
Old Bay seasoning (to taste- the more you add, the spicier it is!)
shrimp (with shells on)

Boil the liquids and seasoning in a medium to large pot. Add shrimp and more seasoning if you like, stir, cover and turn down heat. Let the shrimp steam for about 5 minutes. I usually stir and then cover with the heat off for a few more minutes. Serve hot or chill and serve cold later! We usually have extra Old Bay for those who like it really hot! I have seen others dip them in cocktail sauce, although I am not a fan, and if you do beware of HFCS!

Shrimp Scampi

olive oil
minced garlic (about 2 T)
Old Bay seasoning
parsley
shrimp (peeled, with or without the tail)

Pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. On medium heat saute the garlic, then add a small amount (maybe 1 tsp) of Old Bay to the oil, stir and add shrimp. Saute for about 5 minutes and then turn until pink. Add a pinch of parsley. You can use the same recipe with the shrimp on skewers and let it marinade in an olive oil/Old Bay/garlic/parsley mix for 10-30 minutes before grilling. I prefer grilled, but when it is cold outside sauteed is just fine!

Fried Shrimp (My favorite! No, seriously, I could have eaten all of them myself! You think I'm kidding, but I am NOT!)
shrimp (peeled, tails on)
panko (japanese bread crumbs, whole wheat and/or organic if possible) about 1 cereal bowl full (you can use whole wheat organic bread crumbs although I recommend panko for shrimp)
1/2 T each parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, Old Bay
2 tsp paprika
2 eggs
organic all-purpose flour
olive oil (I really wanted to try this with coconut oil this time but forgot until my oil was already heated.

Pour enough olive oil in a pan to go about 1/2 way up the shrimp. (I was excited to use my new Green Pan for the first time!)Turn on medium heat. You know the oil is hot enough if you drop in a piece of panko Mix panko and spices together (I usually use a cereal bowl). Beat 2 eggs in a separate cereal bowl. Fill a third bowl about 1/3 of the way with flour. This next step works best if you have one hand be the "dry" hand and one be the "wet" hand. With your "wet" hand (for me it is usually my right) hold the shrimp by the tail and dip lightly into the flour and then into the egg. While still holding onto the tail set in the bowl of panko and then use your "dry" hand (usually my left) to cover the shrimp and press down to seal it. Set in the pan of oil. Usually by the time I get 1/2 of the pan full it is time to start turning the shrimp and then usually once the pan is full the first few are ready to come out. I have found that the shrimp in the middle get done much faster. I set them on a cooling rack so the excess oil can drip off. If you are not serving them right away you can put the cooling rack on a cookie sheet in the oven at a low heat to keep them warm and crunchy. I don't know how well they are heated up for leftovers, because there are never any left! 

Onion Rings- To make delicious onion rings follow the same recipe except use bread crumbs, and well, onion rings of course instead of shrimp! Wonderful! I prefer to use a purple onion the most!

Update- If you want to make coconut shrimp, simply use coconut oil to fry, first dredge shrimp in flour, egg, and then organic unsweetened coconut. Easy and delish! For more of a crunch, mix panko and coconut together for coating. Sorry only a picture of one lonely shrimp, they were eaten pretty quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...