Monday, December 27, 2010

"Mock" Tarts

*Update* I have found that the empanada maker from Tupperware makes the best poptarts! The dough has also been the flakiest when using my homemade yogurt. Yum! They freeze/refrigerate well, then just pop in the toaster (on defrost if frozen) and they are as good as fresh out of the oven!

Recipe:
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I usually use Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour or King Arthur All-Purpose flour- both organic)
1 teaspoon sea salt (I don't measure this exactly)
1 cup melted butter (I use 2 Earth Balance sticks)
1 cup plain yogurt (I use my homemade vanilla yogurt)
1 jar organic jam (I found strawberry/blueberry/raspberry work best, grape tends to soak into the dough)

Combine all ingredients. Roll out about 1/4 of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper. If using the empanada maker, just cut circle using the bottom of it, or cut into desired shape. Place about a tsp of jam in the middle and cover with another piece of dough of similar size and seal with fork. Bake at 350 degreees for about 10-15 minutes. If you want to make an icing, combine 1 c powedered sugar with 2 tbsp milk and a little vanilla.


A long time ago my family ate Poptarts frequently. I was able to switch them to a "healthier" version but knew deep down that they were still unhealthy. So, thanks to Heavenly Homemakers again (do you get the idea that I love this site???), I have a delicious homemade version! I have not tried soaking my grains yet, but might do that overnight so I can make some more tomorrow, they are so good! I made half a batch since this was a trial run. I made some with organic strawberry jam and some with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and honey. The strawberry ones are delicious and I can't wait to try with other jam flavors. The brown sugar and cinnamon taste good but the filling is a little dry, so I'm on the search for how to make the middle more "gooey" like the original. I think this would make a great apple or cherry turnover crust as well. I followed the crust recipe exactly except I added a drop of vanilla...just seemed like it was needed!

Fresh out of the oven!

Inside the strawberry deliciousness:

 Inside the brown sugar cinnamon:
    

Update: I made another batch soaking the grains overnight in plain yogurt. I do not prefer that method as it makes the crust heavier and less flaky. I do want to try soaking grains for other baked goods but probably won't for ones that I want to have a lighter feel to them. I also made some with raspberry jam and grape jam- yum! I even think you could make one with peanut butter and jelly, bake and eat for lunch and it would be MUCH healthier than some other "crustless" sandwiches!(Oh yeah, these did not seal as well as the unsoaked version, thus more oozing of the jams!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...