Friday, December 24, 2010

Vegan Pumpkin Pie with Gluten-Free Crust

I have been bugging my sister, April, for a while to be a guest blogger on here. And today is the day! She posted this recipe on FB and is allowing me to post here. Yay! I have to say I haven't tried this recipe yet but fully take her word on it and hope to try it out over the Christmas break! Thanks, April, for sharing with us!


Vegan Pumpkin Pie with Gluten-Free Crust

The Crust:
1.5 cups of Bean and Rice Flour (mostly Bean)
1/4 cup Cornstarch (I use organic non-GMO)
1/4 teaspoon Salt (optional)
1/4 cup Sugar (optional)
1/2 cup Butter (I use Earth Balance brand to make the crust vegan as well)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flours, cornstarch, butter, salt & sugar until it's a pebble crumb consistency. If you use a pastry cutter for this it makes it a lot easier, otherwise you can "cut" the butter into the flour by using two butter knives and slicing them together in the opposite direction.
3. Next press mixture into 9x9 pie pan, I use a glass cup at first since the mixture is quite crumbly and then finish by using my hands.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until light brown.
*This crust is amazing, I LOVE it, so light and crumbly goodness:)!

The Pie Filling:
2 cups Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cup Soy, Rice or Coconut Milk (I used the coconut milk you drink, not out of the can, though it would prob work too:)
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar Cane Syrup (if you don't have this I'll tell you an easy way to make it below)
1/4 cup Cornstarch (again, organic & non-GMO)
1/2 Tablespoon Molasses
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon Allspice

1. If you are using fresh pumpkin (can is fine but I prefer fresh:), you have to first cut & clean out the inside of the pumpkin, then either in the oven or on the stove top, place the pumpkin (meat side down) in water and cook for maybe 10mins, until pumpkin meat is soft. I like to place it in a large pot with a lid and maybe 3 cups of water. Once soft, remove pumpkin from pan and let cool so you can remove the meat from the skin. Next I used a hand mixer to smooth it out.
*You also eat the yummy pumpkin seeds, just rinse & eat, or place on a baking sheet with salt & bake for 5-10mins.
2. In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients and mix together with hand mixer until smooth (a large bowl is important since the pumpkin mixture will literally go everywhere:).
*If you do not have the cane sugar syrup, bring to boil a 1/2 cup of sugar(I use brown sugar) with a 1/4 cup of water. Once sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and let cool, then add it to the mixture. Easy as pie;).
3. Pour mixture into pie pan with already prepped crust. If you are use to making a traditional pumpkin pie you'll notice that this mixture is a lot more firm. You can also have fun making a cool design after it's in the pan (can't do that with traditional pumpkin pie:).
4. Bake for 30-40mins, until light brown on the edges. Note: This pie won't rise like a tradition pie made with eggs.
5. Once done, cool and serve, or cover and place in the fridge to serve later.

PS
This pie is GREAT, soo much healthier and lighter. I honestly prefer it over traditional pumpkin pie! I do have a confession though, I have been using organic heavy whipping cream that I whip up and use as a topping (I know, NOT vegan, but I haven't searched for a substitute yet, baby steps in the vegan world for me:).

1 comment:

  1. Want to give credit where credit is due, the above recipe is not my original, but adjusted a bit and re-written in my own words, here is the original recipe for the crust:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2307161_make-gluten-free-pie-crust.html
    And for the pie filling:
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/9598
    Also, one thing I LOVE about cooking and baking is having fun making adjustments to your liking and needs. I always heard growing up that you can make adjustments when cooking but not when baking, but that's really not true. Once you're more into baking you learn what adjustments you can and cannot make. Typically as a rule for me I always stick to the recipe the first time I try it, but after that it's fair game to make adjustments:). Since switching to mostly a vegan diet I also love the adventure of discovering new substitutes in the recipes I use:). Have fun baking!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...