Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Stromboli

This recipe uses a variation of my Cottage Cheese Herb Rolls for a stromboli crust. I have another crust recipe I will use and post with pics the next time I use it. Of course try to make as many ingredients organic as possible!

For the crust:
1 pk yeast
1/2 c warm water
2 1/2 c flour (I used organic whole wheat bread flour)
1/4 c sugar (I used Sun Crystals and cut to 1/8 cup)
1 tsp oregano (I probably used more, I don't like to measure spices)
1/3 c flaxmeal
1 c sour cream
1 egg
olive oil (as needed)

Dissolve the yeast in water and set aside as you prep other ingredients. Turn on oven to 200 degrees. Once it is done heating, turn off. In large bowl mix flour, sugar, oregano, flax, sour cream and egg. Add yeast/water mixture. If consistency seems a little dry, add a small amount of olive oil. Knead on floured surface until smooth (about 5 minutes). Place in bowl sprayed with nonstick spray, set in dough and cover with tea towel dampened with hot water and set in oven 30-40 minutes.

Stuffing Ingredients:
parmesan cheese
swiss cheese
mozarella cheese
deli ham (I use Nature's Promise and rip into smaller pieces)
onion, garlic powders
oregano
parsley
olive oil

Punch down the dough when done rising and lightly knead. Roll into a rectangle (I usually roll it out on a greased piece of foil to make it easier to move to the baking sheet). Layer ingredients on half the dough leaving a small edge to seal the two layers. I would like to try with green peppers and onions in as well, so feel free to add whatever you like! I also like to put the onion and garlic powder inside. Then fold the top half of dough over the stuffing (this is where the foil comes in handy to help keep it together) and seal by pressing the two layers together. Then lightly brush with olive oil, sprinkle with oregano and parsley. Bake at 350 for about 15-25 minutes until lightly browned and smelling delicious! This will vary depending on the amount of stuffing ingredients and the thickness of the dough. Enjoy! I like to dip in spaghetti/pizza sauce.

 



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...