Monday, July 8, 2013

Homemade Cream of Crab Soup


No secret here...I love crabs and just about all foods made out of crabs such as Maryland crab soup, crab cakes, crab dip (recipe not on here yet, I'll have to get on that soon!). You name it, I love it!

Cream of Crab Soup
(not gluten free, based on this recipe although I do want to try it with Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour)

2 lb. crab meat (it is usually best if you can pick your own and freeze but the claw meat does just fine in this recipe and is cheaper than the "special" or "lump" meat)
1 pint half and half
1 pint milk
1 c water or chicken broth
1/2 stick butter
1/2 c flour
1/2 c diced onion
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 T Old Bay (and more to add to own bowls when serving)
1 T parsley

Make a light roux with the butter and flour.  Melt butter, add flour and stir continuously in a large heavy pot on low heat, until smooth. (about 5 minutes) Add onion and celery and continue to cook and stir for 5 minutes. Slowly add water/broth and stir until thickened, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in half and half and milk. Add crab meat, parsley, Old Bay and cook on low heat until thoroughly heated through, but do not boil. Simmer until soup is desired thickness. Sprinkle extra Old Bay on top if desired.

When I first made this I was very afraid it would not thicken but low and behold it did! I was also afraid the celery would not soften (I can't stand the crunch of celery) but it did, too!

 Alas I did not take a picture of it (and no leftovers were to be found) so you'll have to make do with a picture of some crabs!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...