Sunday, March 25, 2012

Crab Cakes, Cheddar Biscuits and Spaghetti Squash

I love all three of the foods listed in the title. I just HAD to figure out how to make gluten free garlic cheddar biscuits. So, here's the yummy recipes (thanks again to Susan for the squash recipe!).

Crab Cakes (adapted from the recipe on the back of the Old Bay container)

1 lb crab meat (I was so thankful to have picked mine out of crabs we had last summer!)
2 T mayo
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp Old Bay (but I really didn't measure)
1/3 c gluten free bread crumbs (I didn't measure this either, just sprinkled a little in to help hold it together, I really wanted to have as little as possible.)
2 tsp parsley (yeah, didn't measure this either)

Mix all ingredients together. Form into small round patties (I got 8 out of one pound of meat). Heat skillet on medium heat (too hot and you'll sear the outside but the inside will be cool). Cook on both sides until brown. You can also broil but for some reason I have never done that. Enjoy! These also reheat well on foil in the oven (as you can see from the pic).


Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

2 eggs
1 c milk
2 c Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
1 T baking soda
1/2 c melted palm shortening
dash salt
garlic powder (as much as you like)
1/2 c shredded garlic

melted butter, garlic, parsley, salt grinder

Mix all ingredients and drop on greased cookie sheet (I did not use parchment paper but perhaps should have). Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown on top. When they are almost done, brush with mixture of melted butter, garlic, parsley and salt and return to oven for last few minutes.

The batter was runnier than I thought, and I might eliminate the eggs next time (they were really in there by accident this time). And DO NOT lick the batter- yuck! Don't know what it is, but most of my gluten free batters have tasted horrible! The result was not bad, but not as good as my other, non gf kind. I'll try another incarnation at some point and let you know how it goes!






Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin (to be honest I had no idea how this would turn out, but loved it!)

1 medium spaghetti squash (I wash, cut in 1/2 and boil until soft, then use 2 large forks to scrape out the flesh)
2 T butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 c sour cream
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

Saute squash, onion and butter in skillet about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and add sour cream and 1/2 cheese. Place in baking dish (I used a glass bread pan which worked well) and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. I liked a little pepper on mine as well.

I know this picture doesn't do it justice but I forgot to take a picture of it in the pan. This also reheats well in the oven!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...