Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Favorite Potatoes


Potato Chips and French Fries

These are both extremely easy and very tasty when made with coconut shortening! I used a Pampered Chef Simple Slicer on the smallest setting to make the chips. I used mostly sweet potatoes (I only had one small russet left) and found them to taste a lot like the Utz Naturals chips (I don't each chips often, but if I do it is these!).

Heat coconut oil (I didn't check with a thermometer) and test for readiness with one small chip. Fry each batch about 3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and let drain on cooling rack on baking sheet.

The chips did get a little soggy, so next time I will put on a cooling rack in the oven to help dry the oil off the chips. It was very hard not to eat these as they came out of the oil, since I had to taste one of each batch to make sure it was done enough!




To make the french fries, I cut the potatoes (I use a Pampered Chef apple slicer and then cut the slices into smaller slices), then soaked in cold, salted water for about 1/2 an hour.
Dry the potatoes well. Heat the oil, test a small piece of potato (I didn't use a thermometer at all). Fry the potatoes in batches for one minute, let cook on rack. Once cool, fry again for 3-5 minutes each batch (bummer, you have to keep taste testing to see if they are done :)  You can tell if the crispness is sufficient by looking at them or taking one out to touch (carefully, they are hot!). You may need to turn the heat down on subsequent batches as the oil will keep getting hotter. These tasted like Bricker's French Fries!

Coconut oil can be heated, cooled, and reheated without damage, so I saved this oil for another time. I used it to make fried shrimp, and it definitely had a slight "french fry" taste to it. Next time I'll save the oil and reserve it for a batch of potatoes. I want to try making with sweet potatoes next! (The roll in the picture was homemade and delicious, but now I can't remember what recipe I used, b/c it was a new one to me!)











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...