Thursday, March 8, 2012

Gluten-Free Waffles



My kids enjoy having breakfast (waffles, pancakes, french toast) for dinner when it is just us. I don't mind making a "normal" recipe, but since I haven't had waffles in years, I wanted to try a GF version and see if it passed the "kid test". It did! I will warn you, don't like the bowl- the batter tastes horrible! Once I tried it I added mini chocolate chips! But once it was cooked it took on a whole new flavor- yum! It is based on this recipe from the Bob's Red Mill site (they have LOTS of recipes!).

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp Sugar
1-1/2 cups GF all purpose baking flour
1 tsp xanthum gum
1 Tbsp vanilla
Dash (or two) of cinnamon
1 Tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil
1- 11/2 cup milk (The original recipe only calls for 1/2 c but I found I had to add A LOT more to get the right consistency. I'm not sure how much I put in, so I would start with 1/2 and then add as needed.)
1 large egg

Optional- 2 Tbsp mini choc chips or 1/2 c blueberries

Blend all ingredients except for coconut oil with whisk until thoroughly blended. (I used my Pampered Chef batter bowl). Let batter sit for five minutes. While batter rests, preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Lightly oil hot waffle iron, if necessary (I use a Pampered Chef oil spray bottle instead of nonstick sprays- less chemicals and I haven't refilled the bottle yet- in over 2 months!). Pour 1/3 of batter onto heated waffle iron. Close and bake until steaming stops and waffle is deeply browned, about 4-6 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

Makes 3 waffles (although it should make 4, I think if I made it a thinner consistency I would be able to get 4).

For Pancakes: Just make the batter a little thinner, I separated the batter into 3 (one) cup amounts to make blueberry, chocolate chip and plain. Cook on heated griddle with butter. Once the pancake starts to bubble and become dry on top check the bottom and flip. The second side does not take as long as the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...