Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cauliflower Rice?



Want to know how to lower your carb intake while still enjoying delicious Asian fare? Eat it with cauliflower rice! I was so thankful to find this blog when I decided to go gluten free. I did not want this change to cause me to revert to more processed foods. So, finding a low carb, gluten free whole food blog was awesome! I love making homemade Chinese. I would rather eat my own than buy it anywhere! I really thought I had already posted my stir-fry recipe, but I can't find it anywhere on my blog, so I guess not! Here it is! Feel free to exchange veggies for the tastes of your family, although I have found that they will eat these when in this dish, even if they won't any other time. (Oh, and my hubby prefers the cauliflower rice to regular rice :)

Stir-Fry and Cauliflower Rice

1 onion, diced (most for stir fry, about 1/3 for "rice")
4 garlic cloves, crushed and diced (2 for stir fry, 2 for "rice")
1 bag frozen broccoli or fresh
2 zucchini cut into strips
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 pepper, sliced
1 c carrots, sliced (will need a small amount chopped in small pieces for "rice")
handful of raw cashews
1/2 c frozen peas (reserve for "rice")
1 head cauliflower, shredded (I used my cheese grater, this will be the "rice")
2 eggs (for "rice")
coconut oil (use expeller pressed or shortening to not have coconut flavor)
olive oil (if making shrimp)
water
soy sauce (make sure it is non-GMO or use Bragg's Amino Acids)
teriyaki sauce

Meat of your choice
- If using chicken, cut into strips and marinate in mixture of 1/2 c water, 1/8 c soy sauce, 1/8 c teriyaki sauce and 1 T arowroot powder.
- If using shrimp, place on skewers and marinate in mixture of olive oil, soy and teriyaki sauces and crushed garlic and then grill.

Place about 1 T oil in large fry pan or wok. Add garlic and onion and sautee. If using chicken, drain, add and cook until mostly done. Push chicken to the edges of the pan and add cashews and veggies (if using frozen broccoli, I will usually add that later since it doesn't take as long to cook.) Once veggies are almost done, I will add the same amount of mixture that I marinated the chicken with. You will learn to tweak this each time you make it, sometimes I will add more soy sauce or teriyaki as it cooks (aw shucks, you'll need to take a few tastes as you cook to make sure it is just right :) Once I add the sauce, I'll usually turn down the heat and let it hang out while I work on the rice.

Place about 1 T coconut oil in large fry pan (I use one that goes over 2 burners). Sautee garlic, carrots and onion, then add eggs and fry. May need to add more oil, then add cauliflower and sautee, then add peas when almost done. Also add small amount of soy sauce. Serve and enjoy!

Cauliflower Rice

Fried Rice


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...