Sunday, August 10, 2014

Red Brick Bakery & Tea Room {Review}

Last year for my birthday, my sister April gave me a tea date. Unfortunately it has taken us almost 11 months to fulfill that date but it was worth the wait! Our morning started with a ride in her convertible! 
                               
She found quite the diamond in the rough in Red Lion, Red Brick Bakery & Tea Room. Initially it doesn't look like much but once you walk through the entrance way you feel like you were transported to a cafe in Europe!


Once inside, the cafe is inviting, well decorated and charming. We were ecstatic to see that there was an outside deck seating as the day was perfect for an al fresco brunch.


The bakery does not carry gluten free items on a daily basis but if you call ahead they can make accommodations. I had just picked up my favorite gluten free bread from Byers Butterflake Bakery at Eastern Market before coming and they were willing to make my selection with the bread that I brought. And on a side note, if you eat gluten free you MUST try their bread! Only 4 ingredients and SO good. You should call by Tuesday if you want to pick up at Eastern Market on Friday or Hanover Farmer's Market on Saturday. $6 per loaf and well worth it and they also freeze well and make the most amazing grilled cheese!
I ordered the Italian Breakfast Focaccia with house-made toasted focaccia (keep in mind I had my bread instead of theirs) filled with scrambled eggs, smoked provolone, ripe tomato, baby spinach and pesto spread and seasonal fresh fruit (substituted a salad for the fruit). Everything about this was delicious and delightful. The pesto made the sandwich and the balsamic dressing was so good I dipped my sandwich into it!
April ordered quiche with a salad, a savory custard tart with today’s special ingredients (If I recall it was ham and cheese). We shared a fresh squeezed lemonade with lunch.
After lunch came the tea and cake. They had gluten free carrot cake for us and we ordered a vanilla black tea.



The carrot cake was moist, had an amazing texture and was not too sweet. I thought I would be disappointed with not having the cream cheese icing but since it was still morning it was just right. We could not finish the cake so we each took most of our pieces home for later.





Unfortunately due to time constraints, we also did not finish our tea but they provided us with go cups so it didn't go to waste :) We both greatly enjoyed this tea room and can't wait to go back! Here are a few more pictures of our time together.
The smell of the tea reminded me of my Strawberry Shortcake doll I had when I was little.

I can't wait to go back here for another meal! I was fortunate to visit their booth at the Red Lion Street Fair last weekend and got a coupon for a free lunch! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...