Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

Huckleberry pie...Oh, sorry, just got caught up in a childhood jump rope song :)
I was thoroughly excited when strawberries were less than $4 for a 2 pound box at Sonnewald the other week! I had been unable to find organic strawberries at all in a very long time, and even when they were around they didn't look worth the $4+ per pound at Giant. (And believe me, you do not want to eat strawberries unless they are organic!) They were fairly ripe, so it was time for shortcake! I cut them and did add a small amount of Sun Crystals to help draw their juices. This is my mom's recipe which makes the easiest shortcake. You can also make raspberry pudding with it by adding about a cup of berries. You can add blueberries as well.

One Egg Shortcake

2 c flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 c shortening (I used coconut oil)
2/3 c sugar (I used sucanat)
1 egg
3/4 c milk (I used homemade almond milk)
1 t vanilla

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in smaller bowl and add to dry. If the consistency is dry you may need to add some extra milk (mine was dry but I did not add milk and it was fine). Bake in an 8x8 glass dish for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool before cutting (if you can!).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...