Saturday, July 30, 2011

Garden Update Take 2


So excited to give another garden update. This week we had some rain and 2 cooler days which was wonderful, and we are now back in the 90s with humidity.

I was very excited to pick 4 pickling cucumbers and make into my first batch of refrigerator pickles. They turned out great, just a little salty for my taste.



The watermelons are still tiny, but more are popping up and there are lots of blossoms. I filled a gallon jug with water and a fish fertilizer to slow drip feed the watermelon plants. You can see the largest vine coming out of the garden on the right and then trailing to the left.



I love how fuzzy they are when they are little!

I am happy with the corn growth and you can't see it in these pictures but the tassels are starting to come on the larger stalks.



This is our small bed. The various squash plants are growing nicely (even more since I took this picture) and the volunteer tomatoes are ripening. I thought it was a roma plant, but they are only the size of cherry tomatoes...not sure what happened there! The last of these three pics is of the squash blossoms getting ready to bloom.




Last but not least, 2 more cukes that I picked this morning. The one was being strangled by it's stalk but it thankfully loosened up on the poor guy!


2 comments:

  1. Indeed - I love it when watermelons are first starting. :-) What a beautiful garden you have (hooray for refrigerator pickles!)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely garden. The strangled cucumber kinda made me laugh :) We have to get our greenhouse back in shape so we can grow watermelons again. Our growing season is just far too short otherwise!

    Your tomatoes look really interesting -- sort of like an Italian variety that is popular here, but they are much larger than cherry tomatoes. Our tomatoes are finally starting to ripen -- if I can just get my nearly 3 year old to leave them on the vine long enough to turn! ;)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...