Monday, February 18, 2013

Hard-Boiled Eggs {and how to peel them!}



I have been eating a hard-boiled egg each day on my salad for the last year. I used to think it was gross but now I love it! What I haven't loved is peeling the eggs. Ugh! I have tried salting the water, cooling them slightly and peeling right away. I even tried putting coconut oil in the water to see if that would help them to peel better, but no!

And then, due to sheer procrastination (ahem), I found what works. Now, keep in mind these are farm fresh eggs, and have only been out of the coop for 1-2 weeks, not the month that it takes to get from factory farms to the grocery store. The older the egg, the easier the peel so that is why grocery store eggs tend to peel better.

Frustration-Free Hard-Boiled Eggs

Step 1: Cover eggs with cool water in medium saucepan.
Step 2: Place on low heat until the water warms up, then you can turn up the heat (if you turn it up too fast it will crack the eggs).
Step 3: Once the water boils, cover, remove from heat and set timer for 15 minutes.
Step 4: Find something else to do for 15 minutes. I am usually whipping up a batch of chocolate chip coconut muffins.
Step 5: When timer ends, drain hot water and add a few handfuls of ice and cold water. Allow the eggs to sit and cool COMPLETELY! This is key. If you try to peel them too early they will not turn out pretty! You can wait longer than you might think (at least until all the ice is melted) and everything will be fine :)
Step 6: Crack an egg on the large end and start peeling! I usually keep the water in the pot and use it to rinse my fingers or the egg if it happens to have small pieces of shell stuck to it.
Step 7: Store the eggs in an airtight container in the fridge. I like this glass one from Pampered Chef. They keep a week for me no problem.
Step 8: Enjoy in soup, plain, on a salad, etc. Or pack them in your lunch for the week to save time!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...