Saturday, July 26, 2014

Summer Kale Salad {Gluten Free}


Has anyone ever bought a fruit or veggie and then had no idea how to cook/bake with it? Two years ago I got my first bunch of kale (from a neighbor's CSA order) and made them into kale chips. I was not impressed, at least not with the recipe I tried. Ever since I have been scared of kale! This past week the same friend (who, sadly, is no longer a neighbor) asked if we wanted their CSA order for the week and I gladly said yes! Of course there would be kale as part of the order this week! Fortunately my husband recently bought a small container of kale salad at our local grocery store and wrote down the ingredients as listed on the label (kale, red onion, dried cranberry, carrots, blueberries, walnuts and dressing). A quick search brought up this recipe that I was able to combine with the ingredients from the store recipe as well as make adjustments as needed according to what we had at home. The salad is supposed to mingle for 4-6 hours before eating but I couldn't resist taking a bite before putting it into the fridge and oh my it was good! So I am definitely looking forward to dinner tonight of kale salad and corn on the cob (another item from the CSA this week)! As always, try to use as many organic and/or local ingredients as possible!

Summer Kale Salad

3/4 c white sugar
1/2 c vinegar
1/2 tsp Real salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil

1 bunch kale (I used 4 large stalks which was more than enough), wash, cut off stems and chop leaves
1/4-1/2 c chopped red onion according to taste
1 c shredded carrots (I sliced baby carrots)
2/3 c fresh blueberries (I used frozen ones that we just picked a few weeks ago)
1/2 c dried cherries (this is what we had on hand, could also use dried cranberries or raisins)
1/2 c walnuts (again can substitute another nut if needed)

Whisk together first set of ingredients until the sugar dissolves and set aside.

Combine all other ingredients in large bowl. Add half of dressing and coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours. Store extra dressing in jar and add as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...