Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My New Breakfast (again- lol) The Green Monster

So, in my search for the new and improved breakfast (keeping in lines w/ being low carb and gluten-free) and wanting to get more veggies in my diet, I decided to try my own version of a green monster. My friend Jess said she drinks one every day for breakfast, and while I love my smoothies as an evening snack, I wasn't sure my stomach could handle them in the morning or that they would be filling enough. Thankfully I was wrong on both accounts! Keep in mind that this ends up tasting not like spinach or banana...just, yummy! I can't stand bananas in smoothies or bananas in the morning, but in this drink, it is like drinking pure freshness.

The first few days I did eat a coconut muffin to go along with the smoothie because I felt like I needed to chew something. Then I stopped, and I was fine! I also love the portability and if I'm running late it is no big deal to "eat" breakfast in the car. I did modify Jess' recipe a bit. Here's my version:

8 cubes ice
1 banana
2 handfuls spinach
1/4 c fresh or frozen blueberries (I did not add them in the pictures below but they add a nice touch of color and flavor.)
1 T flax
1 T chia seeds
1 T peanut butter or almond butter (although I prefer the flavor of the PB)
1/2-3/4 c water (I don't really measure this. I have used coconut milk and liked that as well. One day I tried adding coconut oil to it and HATED it. Which is weird because I love me some coconut oil.)

Step 1: Add ice to blender

Step 2: Add banana
 Step 3: Add spinach
 

Step 4: Add chia, flax and peanut butter.

 Step 5: Add water (pictured) or coconut milk.
 Step 6: Blend until smooth (I use my Magic Bullet) and pour into cute travel cup student gives you for a present :) The cup holds 18 oz and I usually have a little more left in the mixer.
Is it just me, or does my cap look a little crooked???

The biggest benefit of this drink is that it has sent me craving more veggies all day :) Something about having them to start the day, I can't quite explain it. So, I have re-vamped my lunches at school to include more veggies other than just carrots. I pack a week's worth of all ingredients but the salad. I keep them in my lunch bag at school so I don't have to think about most of my lunch each night. Then while I'm drinking my green monster I make the salad, which is easy since I already have the spinach out anyway :)

School Lunch

Baby spinach and romaine salad with one hard boiled egg, chopped, carrots, and 1 T dressing (I am really into raspberry vinaigrette right now)
One organic gala apple
One choco chip coconut muffin

If I need something after school I usually go for a handful of organic raw cashews. The taste is definitely different than the roasted but once you try it you will never go back and your body won't miss the salt, either.

For dinner I have been making sure to eat a salad along with small portions of everything else. Which, to be quite honest, ends up being popcorn and a fruit like watermelon or pineapple. That's my favorite dinner right now :) I'm a simple girl! And I love my popcorn!

Now I'm getting veggies in as the bulk of ALL of my meals, and my body is thanking me, I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...